Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Totally Bamboo Cutting Board Review: 20-7930 3-Piece Cutting Board Set


This is a user review for the Totally Bamboo cutting board, 20-7930 3-Piece Cutting Board Set.

As a person that enjoys using wooden cutting boards, I have to say I'm quite satisfied with this 3 piece set. The wood is high quality and it doesn't leave that certain wooden stench on your food like some wooden cutting boards do. However, they are a little...thin...and that's not exactly good for my household since my father's a butcher and it'll only take him a couple of weeks of slamming his butcher knife on the board until it breaks.

What really surprised me however was the low price in stores (only $10), and you'd think that something like that the quality would really reflect on the price. Fortunately, after a week of use, it didn't. 

Below I have outlined the pros and cons of the Totally Bamboo cutting board.

Pros of Totally Bamboo Cutting Board

  • Very easy to clean
  • Made of maple wood (lasts a long time!)
  • Beautiful texture, definitely eye candy for your kitchen
  • Available in 3 sizes (this package, at least)

Cons of Totally Bamboo Cutting Board

  • The wood does smell slightly unpleasant at first (not on food though, like I said before)
  • The initial "shine" of the wood seems to disappear after the first few washes
  • The wood IS durable but thin. You definitely don't want to be chopping with machetes on these cutting boards.
  • The smallest cutting board is a little too small to use. I have yet to figure out what to use it for. Cutting boards for children, I guess?
  • Does not come with cleaning instructions, which is important in order to maintain the health of your cutting board.

Where I purchased my Totally Bamboo Cutting Board

If you would like to purchase your own Totally Bamboo cutting board, you can get yours off of Amazon for $22. You can purchase your Totally Bamboo cutting board by clicking HERE:


NOTE: If for some reason the above image is being a buttface and not showing correctly, you can access the Totally Bamboo order on Amazon by CLICKING HERE.

Even though it's not exactly $10 in stores, it's still a VERY good price for high quality. Just keep these things in mind:

Like with all wooden cutting boards, it takes a little more than a little soap and hot water to clean. A little oil helps keep the shine after washes.

I highly recommend against using this wooden cutting board for cutting meats, poultry, and fish. Based on past experiences, the smell of meat really seems to ruin the experience for me.

Here is a little warning for those that don't know how to take care of their bamboo cutting boards correctly. This quote is from a review from Amazon:

I had never used bamboo cooking boards...so I used it for the first time...and the wood started peeling off! I washed it...and it shed worse. So I did some investigation. You have to cure the wood with mineral oil. When I say have to...I actually mean HAVE TO. BEFORE USE and often for the first month. Monthly after that. Wood is better for knives, which is why I got them, but be prepared. Use the mineral oil on it....before you use it.
I have to say I don't have mineral oil. Instead I use unscented baby oil, which works wonders.  

No comments:

Post a Comment